For yet another year, video continues to be one of the vital elements of the digital world, as far as content strategy is concerned.
Video marketing has driven more views and engagement than many other popular strategies and approaches.
If you’ve ever caught yourself wondering about how many people use YouTube, or how the increased popularity of creating video is assisting marketers in driving more sales, you’ll find the answer in this article.
We’re about to go through more than 60 video marketing statistics that answer all the essential questions regarding YouTube and other social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
These video statistics will not only help you better understand where we stand in terms of marketing on certain platforms, but they’re also a window into the future.
It’s easier to make predictions about what could or could not work a few years from now when we get our marketing facts straight.
1. General video marketing statistics
3.1. Facebook video stats
3.3. Twitter video stats
Without further ado, here are 60+ video marketing statistics for 2020:
<img src=”https://www.creatopy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/video-marketing-statistics-infographic.png” title=”60+ Video Marketing Statistics You Need to Know in 2020” alt=”60+ Video Marketing Statistics You Need to Know in 2020” border=”0″ />
<div>Courtesy of: <a href=”https://www.creatopy.com/blog/video-marketing-statistics/”>Creatopy</a></div>
General Video Marketing Statistics
- Almost 81% of businesses rely on video as a marketing tool. (HubSpot)
- It’s projected that in 2020, online videos will make up more than 82% of all consumer internet traffic. This is 15 times higher than it was back in 2017. (Cisco)
- Each week, around 78% of the entire global population watches online videos, while 55% of them engage with videos every day. (HubSpot)
- In Wyzowl’s 2019 State of Video Marketing Survey, 72% of customers said that they would like to learn more about a particular product from a video rather than text. (HubSpot)
- It’s been estimated that by 2020, there will be about 1 million minutes of video crossing the internet each second. (Cisco)
- People are twice as likely to share a video with friends than other types of content, like photos or tweets. (Wyzowl)
As you probably already know, on YouTube, video consumption is through the roof, since it’s the biggest video platform out there.
It’s easy to use, has all the types of content that you can think of, and with the short attention span we have nowadays, it’s based on the perfect means of sharing information, which is video.
Not to mention the fact that YouTube video formats are easy to understand.
The platform is not just painless to use for consumers, but also for creators as they can reach a larger audience with the right strategy.
Like most of us, you probably use YouTube as well, but did you ever wonder:
- How many videos are on YouTube?
Although there’s no definite number of videos on the platform, as each minute thousands are being uploaded, it’s estimated that one billion hours are being watched daily on YouTube. (YouTube)
- How many people watch YouTube?
There are 2+ billion users on YouTube, and when it comes to mobile devices, the platform reaches more people in the U.S. than any TV network. The most active users are aged between 18 and 34 years. (YouTube)
- How many users does YouTube have?
Each month, there are over 2 billion logged-in users that visit YouTube. That’s one-third of the internet. With so many users spread across the globe, YouTube is proving once again that it’s the reigning platform when it comes to video. (YouTube)
- When was the first YouTube video ever uploaded?
The very first video to be uploaded on the platform was on April 23rd, 2005, and it featured one of YouTube’s founders at the zoo. It currently has almost 100M views. (YouTube)
Here are other fascinating video marketing statistics for YouTube:
- YouTube is the most popular website in the world after Google. (Alexa)
- About 81% of the total number of 15-25 year-olds Americans have active YouTube accounts. (Statista)
- Among the most important video stats is that almost 15% of YouTube’s site traffic comes exclusively from the U.S. (Alexa)
- With location in mind, about 93% of video watchers in India are watching videos online, more specifically on YouTube. (eMarketer)
- Only 33% of popular YouTube videos are in English, while only 4% of the content for kids is in English. (Pew Research)
- Every minute, more than 500 hours of video are uploaded on YouTube. (Statista)
- 70% of the videos that people watch is determined by the YouTube recommendation algorithm. (C Net)
- When people go on YouTube, they go on average on 6.5 pages. (Alexa)
- YouTube views on connected TVs have gone up by 39% in the last year. This accounted for more than 250 million hours per day spent on the platform. (Variety)
- Advertising-wise, YouTube is expected to make 5.5. billion dollars in revenue in 2020 in the U.S. alone. (Statista)
- When it comes to YouTube user statistics, the platform is the second most-preferred video-watching on TV screens among those aged between 18 and 34. The first in the top is Netflix. (Variety)
- 83% of video marketers that used YouTube confessed that the platform has proved to be very useful for achieving their goals. (Wyzowl)
- About 51% of marketers say that they run YouTube video ads. (Business 2 Community)
- Of all the digital video ad spending, YouTube accounts for 27.1%. (Business 2 Community)
- YouTube TrueView ads are preferred to standard in-stream ads, with 8 out of 10 viewers choosing the first one. (Business 2 Community)
- 95% of YouTube ads are audible, while 93% are viewable. (Business 2 Community)
- The 6-second bumper ads are used by 33% of YouTube’s large advertising customers. (Business 2 Community)
- About 70% of YouTube short ads help increase brand awareness significantly, while 90% of YouTube ads help increase ad recall. (Business 2 Community)
- YouTube is considered to be the most effective video marketing platform by 78.8% of marketers, followed by Facebook with 58.5%. (Business 2 Community)
Social Media Video Stats
Social media continues to evolve day after day. Just think about how popular Stories have become on both Facebook and Instagram in only a few months, or how it used to be normal to just post on someone’s Facebook wall a few years back while now that might seem intrusive.
Social media is changing at such a high pace that it’s necessary to try and keep up, and what better way than with some stats about video marketing as well as some general social media video statistics?
- Social media video stats show that marketers are spending more on social media advertising with ad spend amounting to more than $89 billion in the past year. (Statista)
- Video ad spending on social media accounted for 28.7% out of the total global video ad spending, at a whopping $10.35 billion, which is expected to almost double in 2020. (eMarketer)
- 53% of consumers say they’re likely to buy from brands that are transparent on social media. And 86% of Americans say transparency on social media is more important than ever before, meaning that they will use a competitor’s platform if they notice a lack of transparency. (Sprout Social)
But let’s get more in-depth and see what Facebook video stats are out there.
Facebook Video Stats
Facebook is probably the most popular platform across all generations, from Baby Boomers to Millennials and Gen Z. It’s intuitive, easy to use, and an excellent way to stay in touch with family and friends.
- Facebook had a total of 2.5 billion monthly active users by the third quarter of 2019. (PR Newswire)
- Facebook Stories reach around 500 million viewers per day. (Tech Crunch)
- Gender-wise, Facebook is made up of 54% female and 46% male. (Statista)
- The total amount of Facebook users watch an average of 8 billion videos daily. (Social Media Today)
- About 64% of businesses in the U.S. stated that posting a Facebook video resulted in them acquiring a new customer. (Animoto)
- By the first quarter of 2020, Facebook had attracted 2.6 million monthly active users. (Statista)
- Every day, there are 100 million hours of video being watched on Facebook. (99 Firms)
- Mobile users are the major contributors to the social advertising revenue. Almost 94% of the Facebook advertising revenue for Q3 of 2019 came exclusively from mobile devices. (Facebook)
- On average, people are 1.5 times more likely to watch videos on their mobile phones than on desktops. (Facebook)
- 11% of all Facebook posts are videos. (Quintly)
Instagram Video Stats
Instagram is an incredible advertising platform, supporting video in four formats, such as video posts, stories, live video streaming, and IGTV.
The good news is that you can use all these options to promote your products and services.
- About 77% of marketers posted a video on IGTV, showing just how popular this feature has become. (Animoto)
- The number of monthly active users on Instagram is over 1 billion, having increased a shocking 42.86% from 2017 when it had 700 million. (Tech Crunch)
- Of the total number of users, 90% are following a business on the platform, meaning that they want to hear from brands about what products they can buy. (Instagram)
- Also, about 89% of marketers confessed that Instagram is the most important social media platform for influencer marketing. (Media Kix)
- Videos are performing much better than photos on Instagram as they attract 49% more interactions. (Quintly)
- Instagram profiles really took off in 2019, when they witnessed a follower growth rate of 9.4%-16% in just the first half of the year. (Quintly)
- Globally, 28% of video marketers are planning to incorporate IGTV in their 2020 video marketing strategy. (Wyzowl)
- To have your brand promoted by influencers on Instagram will cost you between $114 and $3,138 for videos and between $43 and $721 for Stories. (Hootsuite)
- It’s a good idea to use Stories stickers on your Instagram videos as they improve video performance 83% of the time. (Hootsuite)
- The most popular videos on Instagram are how-to tutorials. (Hootsuite)
Twitter Video Stats
Video thrives on Twitter, as the social platform supports three video ads formats, such as promoted video, video website cards, in-stream video ads.
- Tweets that have videos attached are getting 10x more engagement than those without a video. Also, Promoted Tweets with videos typically save more than 50% on cost-per-engagement (CPE). (Twitter)
- About 79% of Twitter users like the platform because it helps them discover new things. (Twitter)
- Twitter saw a 9% increase in revenue for Q3 of 2019, bringing them $824 million. (Venture Beat)
- As of Q1 of 2019, there were 330 million monthly active users on Twitter. (Twitter)
- The average time spent on the platform is around 3.39 minutes per session. (Statista)
- Choosing a video website card on Twitter will deliver a 2x higher click-through rate than the standard mobile video ad benchmarks. These cards are proved to boost user retention by more than 60%. (Twitter)
- It’s best to add short copies to your videos – a minimal Tweet copy has a 13% higher brand and message recall and longer overall view time than a longer Tweet. (Twitter)
- Opting for Twitter ads with video results in a 50% cheaper cost-per-engagement (CPE). (Hootsuite)
- People watch around 2 billion videos on Twitter daily. (Hootsuite)
- Watching videos is the third reason people use Twitter, following news and photos. (Hootsuite)
- A whopping 93% of video views on Twitter are happening on mobile. (Hootsuite)
- Running a video ad campaign on Twitter is 31% more stimulating and 22% more memorable compared to other social media platforms. (Twitter)
Video marketing is on the rise, and the data confirms it.
Social media platforms can be a great way to promote your brand, given the significant number of users that tune into the platforms looking to discover something new.
As we saw in these statistics, video is an essential element that receives more attention than other forms of content.
What’s vital to keep in mind is that if you’re using video to build your brand, you should always opt for shorter ones, given the short attention span that we all have. It’s a necessity to also focus on video storytelling and keep potential customers engaged with exciting and informative videos.
Are there any other statistics you can think of? Let us know in the comments below.
Thank you Diana Bolboaca, I really enjoyed reading this blog. It was explained and structured with perfection.
Great post and really appreciate you mentioning the stats.Very helpful. I’ve been using the video production as wells as video marketing services of Outpost Worldwide , Inc. and happy about their services. I was not using Twitter for video marketing but it seems that i should start now.